The most commonly used poisons are organophosphates (malathion, disufloton, acephate, parathion), carbamates (Aldicarb, Temik/‘two-step’) and rat poison. Organophosphates and carbamates are insecticides used for both agricultural and household applications. Temik is often used despite being a restricted substance, and may be combined with other substances. The tiny bluish-black granules, which are white on the inside when crushed, are commonly hidden in something tasty such as a piece of sausage, polony, meat or bread. Clinical signs of poisoning start within minutes to hours after exposure to the poison. Temik can kill dogs very quickly or even suddenly due to a build-up of secretions in and/or paralysis of the breathing system.
Rodenticides are also sometimes used, either alone or in combination with other poisons. Rat poison is available in several pelleted and cake forms and is sold under different brand names. One particularly important difference from other poisons is that it is designed to start causing signs of poisoning only three to seven days after being ingested, after which death can occur quickly.
Remember that your dog doesn’t necessarily have to eat the poison itself; they can also be poisoned by eating or chewing another animal that has eaten the poison. Rats can travel quite far in a short amount of time and it is not uncommon for them to ingest poison at one house and scavenge a few blocks away to succumb or be caught at another house. Both first and second (longer acting, more toxic) generation coumarin and warfarin products are ‘blood thinners’ – they prevent blood clotting, which both prevents and stops bleeding. Clinical signs are thus related to bleeding, but keep in mind that you may not necessarily see any blood as the bleeding is often internal, i.e. into the stomach and chest cavities.
Time is of the essence when discovering a poisoning – the faster you act the better your dog’s chances of survival, although there are never any guarantees. Follow these steps immediately:
As stated, it is not advisable to induce vomiting as at-home methods are often ineffective and will likely end up wasting valuable time. Only consider it when instructed to do so by the vet or otherwise in extreme circumstances where you are unable to get your dog to the vet immediately and have no other option. Furthermore, inducing vomiting, if successful, will only buy you some more time – you must still rush your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
Only consider inducing vomiting if your dog is fully conscious, not having seizures or convulsions, not having any difficulty breathing and able to swallow. If at any point in time your dog develops these signs, stop immediately and rush your dog to the vet. If you are not successful after a maximum of 10 minutes, stop and rush your dog to the vet. Do not let your dog or any other animals re-ingest the vomit.
Do not induce vomiting if your dog is showing signs of rat poisoning (such as bleeding) – it takes several days to start showing signs, by which time the poison will have already moved out of the stomach.
Prepare a ball of high-foaming washing powder mixed with a small amount of water to form a paste and force it down your dog’s throat. Alternatively you can prepare a 50/50 solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water. Measure 1 ml per kg of bodyweight (e.g. 6 ml if your dog weighs 6 kg, 20 ml if your dog weighs 20 kg) and force it down your dog’s throat. Do not repeat this procedure more than twice.
Cleaning up afterwards is a messy and likely emotional job.
Keep the vet’s contact details and address saved on your cell phone as well as in an easy-to-find place in your home. If your usual vet does not have 24-hour facilities, find out which other practices in your area do and make sure to have their contact details ready at hand – you never know when you might end up needing them.
Frequently check all areas accessible to your dogs for any strange food sources and dispose of these immediately when found. Pay special attention to fence lines along your property as well as any areas where you think it might be easy to toss something over a fence/wall/hedge into your property.
Contact a dog trainer or behaviourist for advice on how to discourage your dog from eating anything other than their usual food or taking titbits from strangers.
Pay attention when taking your dogs for a walk and do not let them chew or eat anything they find. Do not let your dogs off to rummage around for strange things to eat in overgrown areas, bushes or shrubbery – stick to pathways and pavements and keep your dogs on a leash.
Discourage all animals in your household from catching, chewing or eating any rodents and pick up and dispose of any dead rodents in your yard or house as soon as you find them.
Reconsider your use of rodenticides and ask your neighbours to do the same. It’s not just family pets that may be negatively affected, but also birds of prey and other predatory animals that feed on rodents. If you have a mouse or rat problem, rather use a humane trap and ask for advice from your nearest owl or raptor rescue centre.
© 2021 Vetwebsites – The Code Company Trading (Pty) Ltd